Mark's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, memoir
Read from April 22 to 24, 2012

In early 1996, Cheryl Strayed was adrift. She was twenty-six, and still reeling from the sudden death of her mother, a few years earlier. She was in a shaky marriage, experimenting with hard drugs and sleeping around. Something needed to give.
Enter the PCT: The Pacific Crest Trail. Spotting this in a travel guide, while living in Minnesota, Cheryl decides this is her crossroads, her sea change moment and armed with “Monster” her hellishly large backpack, sets out on an eleven-hundred mile hike, from the Mojave desert to Washington State. She was a complete novice and had only done the occasional day hike.
This is simply a wonderful memoir, full of adventure and self-enlightenment. She is one scrappy young lady and I found myself slack-jawed at her toughness and tenacity. This is the perfect female companion to [A Walk in the Woods], although this has the grittier edge.
She tells this story in a strong vivid voice and I felt like I was walking alongside her, from the comfort of my favorite chair. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.