Tina's Reviews > Lenny Bruce is Dead

Lenny Bruce is Dead by Jonathan Goldstein

1208104
Aug 31, 08

Recommended for: This American Life fans ... people who like dry humor mixed with sex
Read in August, 2008

I go back and forth on how I feel about the fragmented nature of the book’s narrative. On one hand, I think it’s brilliant … for those who love THIS AMERICAN LIFE and Goldstein’s work there, it’s a must read. The book gives a good feeling for main-character Josh’s rather odd and perhaps dysfunctional life ... a life spent dealing with the loss of his mother, the presence of his father, and a steady stream of love interests.

On the other hand, I think it’s a cop out; an easy way to tell a story without having to draw out much of a plot. It’s as if Goldstein gathered up all of the bar napkins on which he’s scrawled witty sayings over the years and then dreamed up a way to put them into a book. But because of my affinity for anything related to TAL, and because I powered through it in a day and enjoyed it thoroughly… four stars. Definitely worth a read, and more original than 90% of what most people are reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lenny Bruce is Dead.