Bunny21's Reviews > Any Human Heart

Any Human Heart by William  Boyd

Apr 23, 2012

Read from April 22 to 23, 2012

This is one of the best books i have ever read. I have lived several lives with Logan Mountstuart and felt so sad when our time together ended. I didn't always like his actions, but I grew to love him. The section during his old age where he is weighing up the good and bad of his life is incredibly moving - he measures the good luck and the bad luck. It is hard for him to re-start life after the death during the war of his second sife Freya and their child. This loss and the loss of his son Leo later in life hit him hard and he makes bad decisions. He is left at one point so penniless he is eating cat food, which is a long way from marrying an earl's daughter.
The trip through the twentieth century is also fascinating as Logan plays small parts in huge events such as the abdication of Edward VII, the second world war, the biafran war in Nigeria and finally the Bader-Meinhoff plot. These are just a background too an incredibly human story of love, friendship, mistakes made and a final reckoning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Any Human Heart.