Douglas Larson's Reviews > Into the Darkness

Into the Darkness by V.C. Andrews

Dec 28, 12

Read from April 22 to May 13, 2012

I liked it though I did find the dialog a bit too detailed and wordy at times. I chose to read this book because I had read different reviews on other websites about it and all of them related how the end was a shocking twist. I am usually quite skeptical of these kinds of statements about books because I almost always find them to be exaggerated and I usually am able to guess to some degree, what the ending is going to be like.

But with this book, I have to admit that the turn the story took in the last 15 or so pages, was indeed quite a shock. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine this story ending this way. I didn't have even one clue. And if that wasn't enough, the very last page brought yet another surprise, at least to me though it was clearly intended to offer an explanation for the whole story.

I have never read any of Virginia Andrews' other books but on the copyright page to this book they stated that she started this story but died before she could finish it. The story was finished by an author who was carefully chosen by the Andrews family after her death. Andrews died in 1986 but this story was published in 2012.
The dust jacket mentions another title by Andrews, "Daughter of Darkness" and hints that it is a similar genre.

All in all I think it was worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Darkness.