Danielle's Reviews > Empire of the Sun

Empire of the Sun by J.G. Ballard

Dec 29, 12

Read from December 09 to 29, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of the Sun.

12/22/2012 page 157

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle Some people may know this as a movie directed by Steven Spielberg and staring John Malkovich and a very young Christian Bale.

I saw this movie when I was quite young and was very taken by it.

It is set in Shanghai when it was occupied by the Japanese during wartime.

Jim (Christian Bale) is separated from his rich well-to-do parents when the Japanese invade Shanghai and becomes some what dependent, in his own way, to Basie, an American Sailor (John Malkovich).

Jim's travels takes him through concentration camps and life and death of surviving as an English Boy in Shanghai during a war.

So far I have found the book to be very different in ways to the movie. The authors way of writing, I find, is very simple and helps me glide through the book easily.

I am not going to scrutinize the movie from the book as I believe the movie to have a heart of it's own as I am sure the book will when I finish.

Really looking forward to completing this one.

Danielle 29th Dec. I have just finished this novel and am not sure whether I liked it or not. It was good and easy to read but I did not feel a passion inside or moved. I am not a cold person, and I do feel for what they went through, but the book left me at ok.

It was good but will not appear in my top five for 2012.

I will however still read the book that proceeds this story "The kindness Of Woman"which continues the story of Jim as he returns with his parents to England from Shanghai to leave the war behind.