Holly's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

May 26, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, fiction, ya, favourites
Read from May 06 to 07, 2012

I give this 4.5 stars

EDIT I just had to add that I really liked that there was no recap in this novel of what happened in Divergent, I have seen a lot of reviews where people were annoyed about that but I personally find recaps irritating... It's like when you are watching a tv programme and they recap the show after every ad break! End of edit

This book was darker and much more action-packed than Divergent, Tris struggled with moral implications brought with her from the end of the last book. The death of her parents weighs heavily upon her, yet she still manages to be strong when she is shattered inside. I liked that she literally fell apart in panic and guilt when touching a gun due to what happened in Divergent, it made her character more believable (although it was frustrating at times - it felt very realistic)

Tris is a heroine with flaws, she is clever but not a genius, pretty but not beautiful, strong but full of doubts, and she isnt arrogant about her abilities, more questioning whether she even deserves her reputation. You dont come across many heroines like this and I find it refreshing.

I found this book to be quite an emotional rollercoaster - some of the decisions Tris made irritated me, not because she carried them out, but because she lied to people she loved and trusted. It was tense, exciting and although I guessed a few of the twists in the plot, I was very surprised at one of them - so not as predictable as the first one either. It was also pretty horrific in some parts - some terrible things were done to innocent people, people you thought were bad perhaps weren't, people you trusted shouldn't have been trusted. It was a twisting, whirling hurricane of action and emotion and guilt. A very entertaining read. If you enjoyed divergent you will love this one, however if you are hoping for romance you might want to try elsewhere - whilst there is romance in this book, it isnt the picture perfect 'twilight' rubbish - its more realistic than that and it also isnt the main focus of the story (thankfully) but it is important because at the end of everything aren't all our relationships in life an important part of who we are and how we became that person?

At the end of the last book I felt that some things (such as old Dauntless and the factionless) hadn't really been addressed, I am happy to say that these things were more than covered in Insurgent - I now have a new set of questions I hope Roth will answer in the next book!

I will be looking forward to reading the last in the trilogy - I just hope I don't have to wait too long!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

05/06/2012 page 170
32.0% "Can't get used to Four being called Tobias!"