Josie's Reviews > Last Term at Malory Towers

Jul 31, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: childrens-fiction
Read in April, 2012

The tricks the girls play on Mam'zelle get more and more fantastical with each book. I love how Enid Blyton is all, "Yeah, this ~scientific~ pellet does all this strange stuff if you wet it!" I mean, I could kind of believe in the invisible chalk in book two, but the pellets... Not so much science as magic.

Book 3: A pellet that gives off a vapour that makes you sneeze.
Book 4: A pellet that produces bubbles that pop with a loud "ping".
Book 6: A pellet that turns into a snake and hisses, then crumbles into a fine powder.

It's just so ridiculous. Anyway! I liked that we got to see a little bit of the second-formers' lives at Malory Towers -- it reminds us that girls will continue to have adventures at Malory Towers even after we say goodbye to Darrell and Sally and everyone else. I thought the ending was rather sad, though. Poor old Amanda damaging her chances at competing in the Olympics (perhaps permanently), and Gwen's father conveniently falling ill for the sole purpose of Gwen changing her ways. I would've preferred Gwen to have carried on being a ninny all her life, or at least to have only improved a little. To have a complete change of character ten pages from the end didn't seem at all right. But I suppose I should've expected it -- this is Enid Blyton.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Term at Malory Towers.