Joanna's Reviews > The Return of the King

The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 21 to 22, 2012

When I say I love a book, I really mean that I do love it. I sincerely invest my time to read and understand the story so much so that I either fall in love with any one character or hate one so much I could just kill them if I could. Given how the story of LOTR is compiled into three volumes, obviously, I spent more time on this than any other books I've read. And I have grown to love the Fellowship, even Sam who annoys me at times.

I initially planned to read each volume within a week for three weeks and I managed to do just that for the first two. Unfortunately, by the time I had started on the third one, second semester started and I just couldn't spend as much time as I would have liked on ROTK. That fact had much to do on why finishing the story took so long; the other reason is that I intentionally postponed finishing it because I couldn't bear to read about their last farewells. But tonight, given my ridiculous free time, I finally read it and as I expected, it broke my heart that they finally parted.

Some people complain about how long and boring LOTR is but while I managed to notice the former, I'm afraid that I must contest people about the latter. At the very least, this was not boring. Tolkien created an entire world complete with different languages and histories and customs. He created characters with whom you can actually feel for. Others say that his writing is too archaic for their liking but personally, I don't mind. Actually, it's one of the many reasons why I was motivated to read this.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of the King.

Quotes Joanna Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing into the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall! ”
tags: hope

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The world is full enough of hurts and mischances without wars to multiply them.”
tags: war

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”