Bookshop's Reviews > Comfort Me with Apples: More Adventures at the Table

Comfort Me with Apples by Ruth Reichl

Jun 14, 2009

bookshelves: biography-memoir
Read in June, 2009

Tender at The Bone is a hilarious, light-hearted account of her living with a manic-depressive mother, dealing with low self-confidence, and getting to know food. It is the first of the series, published in 1999. Comfort Me with Apples, the second installation published in 2002, provides a more honest, open and personal story. Some parts, particularly during her affairs and breakdown of her marriage, are actually so sensually graphic and personal they probably belong more to a harlequin novels than a memoir of a living public person.

Despite being published three years after, the books read like one thick one. I wonder if the books were written together but published separately. Both books are thoroughly enjoyable read. But unlike her Garlic and Sapphires they are more personal while still very food-oriented. Peeks of her review in LA Times indicates that her style was not as polished but she is a good writer. The recipes are also not as mouthwatering and therefore, the one-less star.

Nevertheless, I am sad that I've finished the trilogy. I have to find a new friend now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort Me with Apples.