Eric Shaffer's Reviews > Philosophy in the Flesh: The Embodied Mind and its Challenge to Western Thought

Philosophy in the Flesh by George Lakoff

Aug 31, 08

George Lakoff is my favorite philosopher, and here, he impresses me most of all with his critique of the Western philosophers, from Greek to contemporary, most of whom have annoyed me with their relentless mysticism and/or abstractions about existence when daily there is already enough to do and more than enough to worry about. I love the basic notion that metaphor is the basis to our understanding of the world. From the time I can remember, that seemed plain, but Lakoff is the only one who says it and supports it. I'm grateful and amazed. Read this if you REALLY want a new way to shake off the silly and enshrined ideas and, instead, seriously regard the actuality of what most of us call reality, instead of the cheap, sleazy, and easy methods to derange and estrange yourself obtainable from shady dealers in paper, plastic, and glass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Philosophy in the Flesh.