Alice Liu's Reviews > A Brush of Darkness

A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang

Aug 26, 13

Allison Pang jumps right into the urban fantasy format in A Brush of Darkness -- There is so much of the unfamiliar in heroine Abby Sinclair's world, that a little bit of world-building for the reader would have been helpful. Being an avid urban fantasy reader, I was able to just take was was presented and go with it, even though it didn't make sense until much later. Unfortunately, I think readers that are unfamiliar with the genre may have trouble with it. There are a few fight scenes that also gloss over the details of motivation, emotion, and context, making it difficult to become emotionally invested. However, I liked Abby. She allowed grief to get her into her current predicament, but she always takes responsibility for her choices...and with a sense of humor. Her love interest, Brystion, is an incubus and not altogether trustworthy. This brings up major archetypal issues of nature versus nurture, what role personal choice plays, and can you accept someone's true nature when it is so far outside of your human moral code. Though confusing in places, it's a fun book with lots of humor and action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brush of Darkness.

08/26/2013 marked as: read