Heather's Reviews > The Confession

The Confession by John Grisham

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: adult
Recommended to Heather by: apparently not Mike!
Recommended for: fans of mysteries, thrillers, even Jodi
Read from April 21 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This was lying around the house (assumed Mike had read it b/c it wasn't mine, but apparently he has never read Grisham, so it's presence is mysterious!). I had never read Grisham, so I decided to give it and him a try. I'm glad I did! It was a fast-paced, entertaining read (at least, for as much as you can classify a book about the death penalty as entertaining). My only critiques were: 1) it went on a bit long, which I didn't really mind b/c it was still good, but I think he could have wrapped it up a bit sooner, and 2) some of the characters were a bit characature-ish. Grisham was clearly try to make an anti-death penalty point, but I think I would have found it MORE believable, not less, if the pro-death penalty characters were a little more nuanced and less evil-slash-silly. Still, like I said, a good read. I'm going to go mark all his other books as to-read now! He has a ton...glad I found a new author to like!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confession.

Heather Sorry for the gratuitous apostrophe in "it's." I now realize it did not need one. Damn it.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon He's pretty good. I have a few books at home. But his books became very formulaic to me. Like Robin Cook, the medical mystery writer guy. Everything starts seeming like the "same story, little different twist." Enjoy while you can.

Heather I kind of guessed that might happen from reading this one - and just from knowing the sheer number of them that he has. How creative could he be?! Ha. I just picked up The Client and The Innocent Man off a give/take shelf at the VA. Maybe if I space them out over time I can still enjoy them!