Danielle's Reviews > Through My Eyes

Through My Eyes by Ruby Bridges

F_50x66
Apr 21, 12

Through my Eyes is an autobiography about the integration of public schools from the view of Ruby Bridges. The story is told by Bridges with recounts from her teachers, family, and psychologists. The book starts with the background of the time period and the beginning of Bridges life. She was born in 1954 and moved from Mississippi to New Orleans at the age of four. The facts are extremely accurate as they are told first hand. What is great about this book is that it adds the emotions of a little girl that makes the story feel real as the readers’ moves through the text. At the end of her kindergarten year all of the African American students were given a test to see if they could be integrated into the white schools. Bridges was one of five girls who passed the test. Her family was contacted by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) who offered support as Bridges went through her first year at the white school. On her first day of school the U.S. Federal Marshalls escorted Bridges and her mother to the school. Outside the building was a mob of protesters. What was interesting about Bridges story is that she does not remember being scared. It was not until she had to walk through the crowds for a few days that she even started to hear the threats and terrible words being shouted at her. Bridges spent her first year alone with her teacher. It was a lonely experience, but at the end of the year she received high marks. As Bridges entered the second grade the room was full of students and the events from the previous year were never mentioned. The book ends with a quick summary of Bridges life as an adult. I was glad to learn that she was able to find herself and is still making a difference. This book would make a great addition to a lesson on the Civil Rights Movement.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through My Eyes.