Nikki's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

May 09, 12

Read from April 21 to May 09, 2012

I have been meaning to read this book for so many years. I did really like it. However, I am almost ready to say that the book is a bit hyped up. There are some beautiful quotes and the story is beautifully written. The author's ability to use zoo animals and one boy's experience as a shipwreck as an exploration of hinduism, islam, and Christianity is fantastic.

I think that the one thing that holds me back from loving this book as much as it was raved about was the expectation that in the first few chapters, Pi says, "I'll tell you a story that will make you believe in God." I think I was waiting for something more dramatic and more supernatural rather than the logic that helped him to survive. I realize this is extremely harsh because if it were ME on a lifeboat and I survived with a large tiger in tow, I would say the same thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

04/21/2012 page 120

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jake Keyel I liked this too, but the end kind of ruined it for me. That literary trick that the author uses is a cheat in my opinion and makes the whole story sort of meaningless.

Nikki I agree. In fact, the tone of the story changed suddenly to a comedy (the dialogue between the Japanese men and Pi was hilarious yet unfitting). It reminded me of an "Airplane" dialogue.

Jake Keyel Surely you can't be serious. Haha. Yeah, and the fact that the whole story didn't happen apparently, it was all just a hallucination. It's like saying it was all a dream. Then nothing in the story really matters.

Nikki Don't call me Shirley