Luke Van Lant's Reviews > The Anubis Gates

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

Apr 21, 12

For a long time, The Anubis Gates was my favorite book, one which devoured a good portion of my Hawaii vacation. I honestly at the time wouldn't have been able to explain why, but for days afterwards, clowns and poets and spoonsize boys were in my thoughts, day and night.

The book reads, at least to me, like a series of intertwined short stories, following no plot, but simply the flow of time; plot is nothing but the experiences of Brendan Doyle as he skips around time and, along the way, encounters a plethora of bizarre and compelling side characters and villains. The delightful thing about this is that each chapter can usher in another plot point, or a new direction in the plot, that wasn't anticipated and yet makes complete and total sense.

I'm not going to give away any more specifics of the plot, but my only qualm about the book was the ending – the whole book seemed sort of Indiana Jones/Time Bandits, but the end seemed almost Stephen King-type thrills: it felt a little unnecessarily graphic, anti-climatic, and more than a little disturbing. Thankfully, the epilogue corrects as much of this as it can. Despite this minor complaint, I would still recommend the book to a wide range of audiences – for its memorable characters, breathtaking pace, and fantastic ideas.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anubis Gates.