Danielle's Reviews > Made for Goodness: And Why This Makes All the Difference

Made for Goodness by Desmond Tutu

Apr 24, 12

Read from April 21 to 24, 2012

The tone of this book is didactic to the extreme. It's painfully obvious that the author is an Anglican archbishop. It reads like a sermon, complete with constant repetitions of the points at hand, rather than elaborations that are more appropriate in writing. In my mind, it also takes a certain degree of arrogance to deem oneself worthy of putting words in God's mouth, and I found that off-putting. He writes with the confidence of a master of his subject, and to me, claiming mastery over spiritual subjects makes me wary. Overconfidence overrides essential tenets such as humility and open-mindedness.

All of that being said, I could not question any of Tutu's wisdom. The truths he reveals through certain logical patterns and experiences, not only despite of the trauma he's seen, but in fact because of it, are too real for me to deny.

So even though I did not enjoy being lectured at, I'm sure he's right. We are inherently good, and fear is what takes that away from us. We never have to make excuses for goodness, and all the wrong humanity does needs to be rationalized and excused. He's right. And that's a good thing that speaks to me on a personal level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Made for Goodness.