Jenn's Reviews > Deadlocked

Apr 21, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: awful-no-good-very-bad
Read from May 03 to 05, 2012

If you are dying to read a step-by-step description of Sookie's mundane daily activities, such as checking email, washing dishes, sorting the mail, showering, or changing clothes, then you will absolutely love this book.

If you enjoy reading about the dullest, one-dimensional, Dollar Store generic versions of characters you used to love (all while trying to slit your wrists with you favorite bookmark), then pick up a copy of Deadlocked!

However, if you expect more than 5 sentences out of Eric's mouth or long for some semblance of passion/excitement/intrigue from the early books, you will be disappointed. I didn't become interested in the book until the 70% mark. Up until then, I skipped paragraph after paragraph of poke-your-own-eyeballs-out dull narrative. I seriously do not give two shits about Sookie taking off her work uniform and changing into shorts and a tank top she got from her brother, and I doubt other readers will either. The resolution to this novel's "conflict" was predictable and didn't move the series forward, but it did increase the novel to a notch above unbearable.

Oh, and Ms. Harris....if you want me to believe that Sookie has glorious brown legs, perhaps you should stop stuffing her with Sonic chicken sandwiches, Taco bell quesadillas, Dairy Queen Oreo Blasts, and chocolate cake. You are turning Sookie into Snookie! The product placement for State Farm was a little obvious, too. Maybe one should focus on the series instead of churning out screenplays as books and expecting your loyal readers to play along?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.

05/03/2012
16.0% "Oh joy, another book filled with descriptions of Sookie checking her email, filling the salt shakers, changing her clothes, and making coffee."
11/17/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

Allison I love this review! So hilarious!

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Very boring, no action...I agree with your assessment totally.

Angie I feel like I may not even need to waste my time with this book now. Very disappointing. :(

Jenn If you do, I wouldn't recommend buying it.

Angela Frack this sucks! I've only made it through the first chapter but clearly I don't need to be in a rush to get into it.

Jenn If you feel differently after you read it, please let me know! I wanted to enjoy it. Maybe a different perspective will...nah, it totally sucked. :P

Valorie I have not read the book yet, but I noticed this type of "daily living detail" in some of the other books. details that simply filled pages and had nothing to do with the story. I love the series but can't figure out why there is so much fluff in some of her books. Thanks for pointing this out, because it has really kinda bugged me.

Jenn I agree. The "filler" has been there all along, but this novel was so full of detailed, multi-paragraph (and sometime multi-page) descriptions of boring tasks that it didn't leave room for a plot.

Stacey There is a lot of fluff in the other books too - Sookie tanning, Sookie showering, Sookie changing into a nightgown, etc. I didn't think this book contained any more of that stuff than usual. But overall, the entire book was dull.

message 10: by Nia (new)

Nia Exactly how I felt three chapters in.....The death of someone I could careless about left very little room for a climax in the book at all. Big disappointment.

Angela Your review is dead on Jenn. Why can't I stop reading this series?! Its like a car wreck, you just can't look away!

message 12: by Jenn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jenn Angela wrote: "Your review is dead on Jenn. Why can't I stop reading this series?! Its like a car wreck, you just can't look away!"

It's a relationship that we've invested too much time to quit, no matter how disappointed we are.

Jessica Loved your review, you've totally captured my feelings about this book!

message 14: by Jenn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jenn Thanks, Jessica!

message 15: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah Seriously-this book was so boring!!

Bethany Borgschatz Hahaha! Spot on review.

message 17: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dawn Travers Totally agree! The worst part for me was the details of Sookie's day to day life. I really don't need to know you sorted your mail Sook...boring!!

message 18: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Bahahahaha I started reading this book and couldn't finish it. I came here for some spoilers and read your review. Just thought I'd let you know it made me chuckle.