Jane Woodside's Reviews > Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: eced-221

Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume is about a girl named Margaret who has just moved to New York City. Once she is asked to join a secret club, the girls start talking about boys, bras, and getting their first period. Margaret then starts wondering if she’s normal. She then has conversations with God to discuss the changes she is going through because she doesn’t feel comfortable talking to anyone else.

This book is very well written. The setting of this story is identified clearly as well as the characters. You learn a lot about Margaret as the story unfolds. The characters in this book resemble real people in our world, because all girls go through puberty and not all are comfortable talking about it with their peers. Margaret isn’t out of the ordinary. The events that take place in this book are plausible and can and do happen in our world. Puberty is a confusing time for young girls, and this book does a fantastic job at educating young girls and letting them know it’s okay to talk about it. The whole book is very believable to the reader.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It has funny humorous parts, which made it an enjoyable read. I would have this book handy in my classroom for students, because many girls will be able to relate to this story at one point. I would recommend this to young girls who are going through such changes in their life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.