Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)'s Reviews > Blackwood

Feb 26, 13

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 21 to 22, 2012

Originally posted on Lovey Dovey Books

Blackwood is a hauntingly mysterious read that gave me chills from the moment I began reading. Gwenda Bond's debut novel captured my interest as soon as I recognized the blast into history that fuels Blackwood's plot. I have to mention how much I adore the cover because it's always a plus when a book's cover allows me to know the story before I've even started reading the story.

The characters of Blackwood are so likable that I couldn't help try to solve the mystery with them as they uncovered the tragedy befalling their small town. Miranda Blackwood, Battle Star Galactica and frequent 'frak' fan, was so alone in her pain and need to leave the town she's doomed to reside. Phillips Rawling was no better off, taking on the bad boy role to escape the whispers he inherited. Together, Phillips and Miranda were unstoppable. I loved seeing how they reacted and responded to each other. It was almost as if they forged a bond that kept them sane through all the madness they experienced. Both characters were more than what they appeared to be and diving deeper into the story proves so.

Blackwood's tone is dark and eerie despite the occasional bouts of laughter Phillips and Miranda conspired from me. I didn't expect much of what happens in the story and it took some time for me to twist and wrap my brain around some of the events. The Lost Colony legend is not one I've heard much about before and I love how Bond infuses it into a contemporary setting. Blackwood has pretty much shaken what my idea of a supernatural mystery is and I'm anticipating the next novel from Gwenda Bond.

*eGalley provided by NetGalley on behalf of Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackwood.