Julianne Frye's Reviews > Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: classic
Read in April, 2012

This book tells the story of a pig named Wilbur who becomes friends with a spider named Charlotte. When Wilbur was a born, he was the runt of the litter, but the farmer's daughter, Fern, convinced him to let her keep Wilbur as a pet. Fern keeps Wilbur for a few weeks, but then he goes to live on her uncle's farm. When Wilbur finds out that he is going to be killed and eaten for Christmas, he turns to Charlotte for help. Charlotte decides to write words describing Wilbur in her web such as "some pig," "terrific," and "radiant." Wilbur becomes pretty famous around town, and eventually goes to county fair and wins a prize. Charlotte reaches the end of her life cycle while they are at the fair, but not before laying a sac of eggs in the barn. A few of Charlotte's babies stay with Wilbur to be his friend after their mother has died.

This story is an absolute classic. I heard it for the first time in kindergarten. I can remember my teacher reading it to us out loud while we were lying down for our nap. I loved it then, and I loved reading it even more now that I am older. It brings back fond memories of my childhood. It is a very heartwarming and emotional story that brought tears to my eyes. The illustrations are drawn with careful lines that show detail and complement the text.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte's Web.