Steph Sinclair's Reviews > The Iron Trial

The Iron Trial by Holly Black

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: to-read, children-s, middle-grade, scholastic

Why does the blurb read like a Harry Potter re-mix?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Trial.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Somewhat. I'm excited that Holly Black is co-writing it though. (And I feel Meh-ish about Cassie Clare co-writing)

Experiment BL626 I want another Harry Potter. I want another Harry Potter. I want another Harry Potter. =D

message 3: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair @Ally, I've yet to read anything by Holly Black, but I do have her Curse Workers books on my Kindle. I just haven't gotten to them.

@Experiment, oh you! Lol. :D

message 4: by Kyle (last edited Apr 21, 2012 05:51PM) (new) - added it

Kyle Definitely read White Cat! Loved it! I feel like the summary sounds like a mix of HP, but it sounded REALLY reminiscint of the front flap of Wicked Lovely.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 21, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

Personally, I liked her Tithe series better, but the Curse Workers books are enjoyable reads. :P I did read Tithe when I was younger, so I might feel differently if I re-read it again.

message 6: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Steph did I just see that you haven't read anything by Holly Black? I am shocked! Tithe is on my re-read list. I have enjoyed her books ever since. :0)

message 7: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair @Kyle, you are so right. It's the whole three rules thing that gives it that vibe.

@Ally and Mommaseymour, I checked out Tithe from the library a few years ago, but never read it. I know, for shame! Lol.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you ever return it? Lol if you didn't...quite a big fine... :D

message 9: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Ally wrote: "Did you ever return it? Lol if you didn't...quite a big fine... :D"

Lol, yes. I'm a good library patron. :D

Zero vi Britannia Steph wrote: "Why does the blurb read like a Harry Potter re-mix? "

Because it's a Cassandra Clare book.

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I'm surprised that your're going to read this series. Like always, I'm ready for the bantering. lol

message 12: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I'm going to try and be good and go in with an open mind. TRY.

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Open mind, eh? I'll wish you luck because it's difficult to have an open mind when many thoughts just clot your brain...it happens to me (not to sound sadistic or anything in particular).

message 14: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Yeah, I know what you mean. This one is mostly out of pure curiosity. I'm not a CC fan in that least and disliked all her books. BUT I'm very curious to see how things go when she doesn't write in the Shadowhunter world.

message 15: by Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ (last edited Jul 07, 2013 08:18PM) (new)

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I'm the same, but I really liked the first book in the TID series because Cassie's really good at character descriptions. But I'm intrigued with her idea of the family trees. Therefore, I'm going to read a few books related to Jace, Will and Jem junk no matter the crap she's trying to engage us readers in.

message 16: by Giannina (new) - added it

Giannina Can authors not write about kids and magicians anymore? Seriously stop hating.

Zero vi Britannia Giannina wrote: "Can authors not write about kids and magicians anymore? Seriously stop hating."

Yes, but that's not the problem. Cassandra Clare and her stealing from Harry Potter in the Mortal Instruments and her Harry Potter fanfic are the problems.

message 18: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Giannina wrote: "Can authors not write about kids and magicians anymore? Seriously stop hating."

It's just very ironic given her past. So much irony. Lol. I am far from a hater.

message 19: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Jeremy wrote: "I'm sorry but why does everyone keep saying that about harry potter but the the whole one book for each year kind of thing hello Percy Jackson did that to hello people"

Probably for two reasons: Harry Potter came before Percy Jackson and this is a Cassandra Clare book. She got her start by writing Harry Potter fan fiction. In fact, some say her first series (The Mortal Instruments) borrowed from that fan fiction. So far, those are the only published books she actively written (pretty sure I'm right about this, though, I am not including anthologies). This book would be the first and people are wondering if it too will borrow ideas from Harry Potter since the series that made her popular (and still lines her pockets) did.

Bieke {Istyria book blog} I'm not a big fan of Cassandra Clare, but I love Holly Black. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was amazing!

message 21: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Because it doesn't.

message 22: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I would disagree.

Crystal (Crystal in Bookland) It does indeed sound VERY Harry Potterish BUT I will give it a go because....well...curiosity ;-)

Crimson (Captain of the Bloody Rose) Jessica wrote: "Because it doesn't."

Correction it does.

1. Boy is a supernatural being.

2. There are three people that are two boys and one girl. Just Harry and Co. Why a boy as the MC? Why couldn't the MC be a chick this time around?

3. There's a school of magic?

Hmmm...they sound pretty much the same don't you think?

Crimson (Captain of the Bloody Rose) Shadowhunerforlife2014 wrote: "Crimson wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Because it doesn't."

Correction it does.

1. Boy is a supernatural being.

Yup they do. And hello again!! *WAVES*

message 26: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Find some random book about magic. They all sound pretty similar.

Melodramaticfool I agree, I fear it will be some kind of HP mix, but only time will tell. :)

message 28: by Lissa (new)

Lissa I hope the people saying it's copying Harry Potter are only saying that because they don't like Cassandra Clare, not because books about magic schools can't be written after the success of Harry Potter.

message 29: by Smoodle (new) - added it

Smoodle and look at the cover! its a death eater...
two boys and a girl...
looks and sounds a lot like hp, but im praying it wont be.

message 30: by Sherrie (new) - added it

Sherrie Petersen I think it sounds like Harry Potter meets Half Bad. It's going to be hard to have a unique slant, but those two authors are pretty talented. I'm excited to see what they come up with!

message 31: by J (new) - rated it 2 stars

J Never read any holly black books...I just wish someone else co wrote with her instead of...Clare.