Stephanie Collins's Reviews > Howl For It

Howl For It by Shelly Laurenston

F_50x66
Aug 30, 12

And to get another thing out of my system...

EEEEEEEGGGGGGGGGIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Ok now I feel better.... huge breath...

This is yet another entry in the pairing of short stories/novellas from Shelly Laurenston and Cynthia Eden. I have to be honest I get these for the Laurenston stories but I am happy to say that due to these I did discover Cynthia Eden and have enjoyed other works by her outside of these.

Like a Wolf with a Bone - Shelly Laurenston - 5 stars:

Laurenston takes us back in the history of her Pride series and gives us the story of Dee's parents... Darla and Eggie.

Darla Lewis is on "vacation" from her job as an assistant pastry chef for a Van Holtz restaurant in San Francisco. She has been sort of forced to come home to rest and relax although with her family and the Smith boys who are their mates there is no way she is really resting. She's an interesting soul in that she is a feminist, a pacifist and definitely a She-wolf. You see how she gets sort of lost with her more vocal and outgoing sisters but you also get to see the strong backbone she has. She is willing to stick up for what she believes in even if as a wolf she shouldn't really care about the full-humans or other such nonsense. She is attacked and Eggie comes to save the day. Unlike others she feels incredibly safe around the wolf that most run away from or at least back away very slowly and pray that he doesn't feel like pursuing them.

Eggie... *sigh* ... *wipes drool off chin*... he's such a misunderstood wolf. Sure he's scary.... yes he kills with no real outward emotion... yes he isn't a talker... a bit of an odd one... a loner... but dear gawd is he such a sweeite under the surface. Noone has ever seen him the way Darla does and he quickly discovers that this is HIS She-wolf and he will protect her as long as he has a breath in his body. He doesn't say much but his actions say what he can't. He can't believe she trusts him and is surprised he has found his mate. I don't think he ever thought that day would happen and watching this incredible man work out how much he loves her was aaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww worthy many times. His declaration of love has to be one of my favorite moments in this series and I am glad Laurenston was able to give this to us.

I have to say I want her to go back and also give us Bubba Ray and Janie Mae cause the glimpses we got in this have me wanting more more more.

Please go grab this work as it will make you look at Eggie in a different light than the killing machine everyone else sees him to be. Darla is one hell of a lucky woman.

Wed or Dead - Cynthia Eden - 4.5 stars:

Quick read about a hunter and a werewolf. Neither is completely what the other expected but is exactly what they each needed.

Kayla lost all her family but her brother in a violent werewolf attack and she has the scars (mentally and physically) to prove it. She takes an assignment from her boss to get close to a local Alpha by any means necessary so she can kill him. We start this at the Vegas wedding ceremony and find that she is attracted to him but feels in the back of her mind she still has to kill the monster. We see her work thru a few issues in this quick read to end up paired with an incredible man/beast that makes her see every species has monsters not just the werewolves/

Gage is Alpha to the core. He is not a monster but is a fair leader and will kill only if it is needed to protect the innocent or his Pack. He knows that she is a Hunter but also knows she is his. She is the mate he has always wanted strong... sexy and powerful in her own ways. They have a great honeymoon night together but understandably he is a little pissed when she tries to go thru with her original missions. She doesn't really put much effort in to it as she does feel that incredible connection as well.

This story has some nice sexy times but a lot of it is focused on the insane leader of the hunters and not truly on the main pair. I loved seeing Gage cause I mean he is one sexy beast but we just didn't get enough relationship building and that sort of disappointed me. I still loved it though so give it a chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howl For It.