Walter's Reviews > Zorba the Greek

Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis

Jul 01, 14

bookshelves: modern-classics, favorites
Read from June 06 to July 01, 2014

This book alternatively gave me a great sense of spiritual well-being and bitter sorrow. Camus, on accepting his Nobel Prize for Literature, said that Kazantzakis was more deserving. (He was half-right - both were).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zorba the Greek.

Quotes Walter Liked

Nikos Kazantzakis
“This is true happiness: to have no ambition and to work like a horse as if you had every ambition. To live far from men, not to need them and yet to love them. To have the stars above, the land to your left and the sea to your right and to realize of a sudden that in your heart, life has accomplished its final miracle: it has become a fairy tale.”

Nikos Kazantzakis
“Look, one day I had gone to a little village. An old grandfather of ninety was busy planting an almond tree. ‘What, grandfather!’ I exclaimed. ‘Planting an almond tree?’ And he, bent as he was, turned around and said: ‘My son, I carry on as if I should never die.’ I replied: ‘And I carry on as if I was going to die any minute.’

Which of us was right, boss?”

Nikos Kazantzakis
“I felt once more how simple and frugal a thing is happiness: a glass of wine, a roast chestnut, a wretched little brazier, the sound of the sea. Nothing else.”

06/06/2014 marked as: currently-reading