Kathy Martin's Reviews > Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink

Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink by Stephanie Kate Strohm

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 21 to 22, 2012

I enjoyed this contemporary romance. I liked Libby and thought she made a realistic, history-loving teen. Spending her summer in Camden Harbor as an intern at a Living History Museum has lots of surprises for her. She has a horrible roommate who is determined to spend the whole summer in character and is jealous of Libby almost from the second they meet. She is flattered when she is hit-on by the very cute Cam who is the very image of all of the romantic heroes from her reading.

She is considerably less flattered when Garrett McCaffrey rescues her from a large barrel and teases her unmercifully about her Hello Kitty underwear. Things go from bad to worse when she finds herself sharing a room with him on the sloop that is supposed to be haunted. She isn't very fond or ghosts or Garrett but anything is better than her current roommate.

This was a fun story. I thought Libby was great. I liked that she was both obsessed with history and with fashion. I liked that her best friend Dev was gay and was interning with a teen fashion magazine in New York City. I liked that she put her friendship with Dev ahead of her budding romance with Cam when she had to make a choice.

I can heartily recommend this one to younger YAs because it is a good example of girl power and has a sweet romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink.