Anthony's Reviews > Philosophy: Who Needs It

Philosophy by Ayn Rand

M 50x66
Aug 31, 2008

I was once an ardent supporter of Ayn Rand during my college years. However, my worldview has matured over time. I simply cannot live Ayn Rand's philosophy. Her philosophical positions do not seem natural to me. I would argue that Rand is a powerful writer and philosopher. Her arguments are rational. She writes clearly and persuasively. But her values do not match mine. I disagree entirely with her metaphysical views, which has a domino effect on the other branches of my philosophical worldview- including epistemology, ethics, politics and esthetics. A major criticism that I have of her philosophy is that she tends to deride other thinkers who do not agree with her. She also, as I once read, confuses reason with the reasonable. She seems to coin a person as either a irrational left wing altruist, or Kantian, who lives for others, or as an individualist who lives for rational self interest. Her philosophy is very black and white. In fact, she wrote an article called "The Cult of Moral Grayness." Life is full of paradoxes and mysteries. Objectivism overlooks and represses the spiritual element. There are sharper analytical minds, like Aquinas, who have constructed arguments which put Rand's ideas into check. A human being is ultimately a rational being, a feeling being, and a spiritual being who longs for infinite love and wisdom. I am still in the process of making sense out of the vast political ideologies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Philosophy.