Taryn Elliott's Reviews > The Witness

The Witness by Nora Roberts

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: snarky, sweet, tears, funny, fangirl
Read from April 21 to 23, 2012

Okay...I'm mildly biased about LaNora books. She is my all time fave author. (Yes, I know some will roll their eyes. Seriously, between work ethic and pure talent this woman deserves every success she's had.)

Brooks and Abigail will stay with me for a long time.

Abigail made me laugh, cry, want to fight, and ultimately made me just sigh in pure happiness. This character has been so much and still had a core of goodness and openness that is astounding. The one thing she wanted was someone to love her--she'd pushed the idea of it away from her for so many years she simply had no idea what she needed until Brooks Gleason walked into her life.

Brooks.
*sigh* Fun loving, fierce, loyal, brave, honest and a host of other things that makes a woman swoon. Not too perfect. Not so that you were sickened. He knew how to compromise. He knew how to love. His family is and will always be the most important thing in his life. He's a cop, but he's not a black and white one. His shades of grey made him even more appealing and real to me.

The line of suspense shook you from the beginning and always lingered in the back of the story. The overlapping plot and parallel storyline based in the little town highlighted all the things she was running from and made for one more satisfying layer to the story.

It never slowed down for me. Even in the peaceful moments, it drew me in and seemed to spotlight the ever fascinating way that Abigail's mind worked.

As an aside, her social awkwardness reminded me a lot the Bones character from the Fox tv show, but it was definitely a different level. Just that logical mind that had to learn to bend and grow and maybe even learn just a little bit more to let love in. Because man...Brooks was SO worth it.

A must read for the Nora fans and a brilliant way to draw new readers as well.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witness.

04/21/2012
13.0% "damn you nora! hoooked! what a freaking awesome opening!"
04/21/2012
22.0% "yep. officially in LOVE w Brooks. that only took 4 pgs. lol god i love Nora"
04/21/2012
45.0% "This book is going to kill me. Abigail has this Temperence Brennan feel to her sometimes. Probably why I like her. Not exactly, but moments."
04/22/2012
60.0% "Did I mention I'm in love with Brooks? Because I soooooo am."