Kari Anderson's Reviews > The Lucky One

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

May 30, 12

Read from April 21 to 23, 2012

Logan is a lucky man, or so his fellow soldiers believe. And he gives credit to surviving three tours in Iraq to a picture. He found the picture during a morning run. It was of a beautiful woman. He tried to find the owner, a picture like that must belong to someone. When no one claims it, he takes it with him and is soon dubbed “The Lucky One” and the one who others want to stay close to for survival.

When Logan returns, he doesn’t think much of the photo until a fateful day when his best friend is killed in an accident that should have also killed him. That’s when he makes up his mind… he must find the woman in the photo.

His journey leads him across the country, on foot, with his dog to a small South Carolina town where he finds Beth, the woman in the photo. He begins working at the family’s dog training/grooming business and tries to tell Beth why he came, but never gets it out.

He becomes close to Beth, her grandmother and her son, but his secret taunts him and eventually comes to light starting a war that may be bigger than the ones he fought as a soldier.

I have been a Sparks fan for a while, dating back to The Notebook days, which made its way across Europ with me. I remember riding on our chartered bus, always wearing my sunglasses to hide my tears. Since then, I’ve read a few Nicholas Sparks books, but never keep up with new releases. I saw the preview for The Lucky One when I went to watch the Hunger Games and knew I had to read the book quickly to catch the film release. I would love to see how book sales went up when the previews for this movie started. The book has been out since 2008, and I’m sure it did well with the Sparks faithfuls when it was released, but I guarantee the numbers skyrocketed with the ads.

Once I started the book, not meeting the release date wasn’t something I had to worry about. I started it one weekend and had it done before the weekend ended. I couldn’t put it down! I had to know what happened with Logan and Beth. It also helped that everytime I saw Logan’s name in the book, I thought of Zac Efron *Swoon*.

I never thought I was a girl to love love stories and I don’t choose them off the shelves very often, but every now and then, a good love story is just what I need and Nicholas Sparks can always do the trick. How he writes such an amazing love story, I’ll never know.

I have seen some reviews about this book being “predictable” and that kind of shocks me. 1. You kind of know what you are getting into when you pick up a love story. Don’t you want the predictable to happen and the couple to fall madly in love? If that’s not what you are looking for, then you are not going to pick up a love story. 2. While the first 300 or so pages are a smidge predictable because you’ve read the back cover and have seen the preview to the movie, the last dozen pages are anything but predictable and you have to read until the very end to find out how everything turns out. I always hate seeing the word “predictable” with a negative tone. If you don’t want predictable, go for a genre that you aren’t used to and try something new.

So I loved the book. I loved the story line and thought it was very creative. I loved the characters, for the most part, and felt like I could connect with them in some way, shape or form. I really liked Logan in the book (even if I wouldn’t have imagined him as Zac Efron, I would have liked him). Sparks did a great job building his story out and going from the present to the past. I thought all of the characters did well at playing their roles in the book and worked well together, even the jerk that Beth’s ex was.

I give the book 5 bookmarks and think that I need to kee

The movie however really surprised me! I also really liked it, but it was only loosely based on the book. I thought both of them stood well alone, but you have to remember when going into a theater that the book and the movie, no matter what they are, will not be word for word or scene for scene. There are things you have to jazz up for the big screen and things you have to cut out to save on time. In the movie version of The Lucky One things were definitely different, but it worked. Logan does find a picture, does go to meet Beth, and the characters are the same, but that’s about it. There are lots of scenes that were left out and lots of others that were added in. I give the movie a 4 out of 5 rating, just because I liked the book better. but seeing Zac Efron for two hours wasn’t bad either

Did you read the book or see the movie? If so, what did you think when comparing/contrasting them? Which one did you like better?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lucky One.

04/23/2012 page 262
80.0% "Hope to finish tonight!!"