Stacia's Reviews > Torment

May 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: re-read
I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** 3 out of 5 stars!

I love the Fallen Series! Lauren Kate's beautifully enticing series is the reason why I'm reading more and more books about angels now-a-days!

I did believe Fallen was going to be a hard act to follow, as they say, and, I can say that, as much as I enjoyed Torment, it wasn't like I wanted to gobble it up like I did Fallen.

Sure, for once, Luce isn't completely focused on the fire, and the shadows, and isn't completely enticed over Daniel, which made for a great difference in point-of-view, but the overall composition of the way Torment was written was only so-so.

Luce is left to fend for herself in a California boarding school, where she meets some unlikely people who become her friends, and two teachers, that open up her world of curiousness- even more than before, and Luce is left to investigate some problems herself.

The back-and-forth banter of her arguments with Daniel (on the occasions she DID see him), were completely predictable, and left room for maybe two or three solutions to their problems, instead of the countless solutions that WOULD have made the story a bit more interesting.

The ending is what threw me for a loop, considering the fact that once Luce and Daniel were FINALLY together, she didn't do the typical thing and run into his arms- but instead decided to do something on her own. She is commendable in that action.

The new characters are a breath of fresh air when they are mentioned, to allow a different take on things than the reform students in Fallen.

Overall, the book wasn't a complete downer, but it wasn't a complete 'Let-me-read-this-in-one-sitting'.

Still, the story is perfectly acceptable for anyone wanting to delve more and more into the ideas of angels and 'Other Worldly' beings

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torment.