Maggie Campbell's Reviews > Yes Man

Yes Man by Danny Wallace

F_50x66
Oct 16, 08

Read in September, 2008

"'But the happiest people are the ones who understand that good things occur when one allows them to.'"

"I was on the verge of something. But sometimes to look forward, you have to look back."

"...Before I'd thought of those as self-contained little moments. I'd never really considered that they might be beginnings, that they might lead somewhere, that they might be for the best."

"The closed mind is a disease. You need to have an open mind; otherwise life will just pass you by."

"He was someone who had it all, but had decided that he didn't need most of it."

"The only time you have no opportunities is when you decide to stop taking them."

"'I'm just saying that sometimes it's riskier not to take a risk. Sometimes all you're guaranteeing is that things will stay the same. Sometimes it's more important to say yes to things that it is to say no.'"

"'Yes. It's very, very odd,' she said. 'But that's good, isn't it? Life should be odd.'"

"They were always there for me, but I'd never used them, never said yes to the opportunities I thought would always be there."

"I was saying yes because when you're in love, the world is full of possibilities, and when you're in love, you want to take every single one of them."

"So, maybe Yeses are meant to be shared. Maybe that's what all this is about. Maybe life's about finding opportunities to share with someone. That's all it is, when you think about it. A series of opportunities to share."

"As humans we seem to go to more effort to avoid trouble and pain than we do to make things better. Avoiding rather than doing."

"When you think about it, probably some of the best things that ever happened to you in life happened because you said yes to something. Otherwise things just sort of stay the same."

"I guess it's only when we look at how a No could have changed our lives for the worse that we realize the value of the tiny Yeses that fly at us each day."

"Saying 'there are probably a lot of variables' is my number-one tip for appearing to be on top of a conversation when you are really six miles out of your depth. Consider it a gift from me to you."

"Listen to what they tell you. Sometimes inspiration comes from the strangest places. Even the ordinary can be magical. Be open to it."

"Sometimes you have to make a decision to protect yourself. Sometimes it's better to lose a foot than risk a leg."

"The pain of missing something; the pain of not knowing what could have happened; the pain of discovering that sometimes, opportunity really will only knock once; the pain of knowing where a No had brought them and realizing too late when a Yes in its place could have led them..."

"And maybe there's a real difference between doing something we regret, and regretting not having done something. And it seemed that difference could be...well...sadness. Take the stupidest thing you've ever done. At least it's done. It's over. It's gone. We can all learn from our mistakes and heal and move on. But it's harder to learn or heal or move on from something that hasn't happened; something we don't know and is therefore indefineable; something which could very easily have been the best things in our lives, if only we'd taken the plunge, if only we'd held our breath and stood up and done it, if only we'd said yes."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes Man.