Jess Schira's Reviews > What a Boy Wants

What a Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn

Jun 10, 14

bookshelves: 2012-challenge, 2014
Read in June, 2014

This is probably one of the best indie books I’ve ever read. It was a special treat I didn’t expect.

The first thing that makes stand out for me is the narrator. I’ve read YA romance novels where parts of the book where narrated by male character, but never the entire story, particularly not a romance that’s so clearly meant to be fluffy and fun, not a gritty brutal side of life novel.

Bastian is a pretty typical 17 year old guy, he likes hooking up with hot girls, he wants a car, and he wants to have fun. He also has a pretty good understanding about what a girl needs to do to catch the guy she has her eye on. He’s willing to share this knowledge with the women of the world, for a price of course.

What Bastian never expects is to meet the one girl, a girl completely unlike anyone he’s ever been interested in, to turn his world upside down. It turns out that there’s more to the love thing than he ever intended.

Sure it’s predictable, but it’s a YA romance, most tend to be predictable.

Throughout the entire story, Dawn showed that in addition to having a pretty good understanding for the minds and hormones of teenage boys, she also knows how to write. She has the ability to string words together so that it was easy to forget that I was reading and lose myself in Bastian’s world. Not all authors can accomplish such a feat. Though the style felt a little different, the way I head Bastian’s voice telling the story to me reminded me of Sarah Dessen’s Just Listen and Jennifer Echols Going too Far.

While the book wasn’t hard to walk away from, I did stay awake to finish reading it, despite the fact that I’ve only had a few hours of sleep this week. Not many other books have been able to do that.

What really impressed me about What a Boy wants was the story structure. I love indie authors, but every once in a while they go on a tangent or something about some of the scenes just doesn’t feel quite right. This wasn’t the case with Dawn’s writing. The scenes she crafted fit together smoothly and the story moved forward at a very nice pace. I can’t wait to read more of her work.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What a Boy Wants.

04/21/2012
100.0% "I loved this book by @NyraeDawn"