Laura's Reviews > Walk Two Moons

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Apr 21, 12

Read in April, 2012

I used to joke with my mom (also an avid reader) about Newbery Medal winner books. They may be written at a kid/young-adult reading level and they may have teen main characters, but they are not books that kids like. They tend to be more philosophical than the average teenager. Growing up, I don't think there was ever a Newbery book that I liked or related to.

This book fits smack in the center of that Newbery stereotype. As a teen, I would have hated this book. To philosophical with not enough of the normal teen drama I was living and accustomed to. However, reading this book as an adult, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Every once in a while, you find an author that is truly gifted with word choice and the art of story-telling. In this book, there are three stories being told at the same time:

1) Salamanca (what a great name) traveling across the United States with her grandparents, following the path her missing mother took when she left
2) Salamanca's own memories of her mother and the events that took place before her leaving
3) Salamanca telling the story of her friend Phoebe and Phoebe's family and the lunatic.

The author weaves these three stories together so perfectly, switching between the stories in a way that is smooth and easy to follow. In some parts of the book, she switched between stories every few paragraphs, but the train of thought of Salamanca was so fluid and well-written, the switching was effortless. I think this is a rare gift in an author.

The story is about loss and forgiveness, but the way the story is told, it came across as soothing. Instead of feeling sad, I somehow felt more at peace with myself and the world at the end of the book.

Not a book I would ever recommend to a teenager or anyone who likes action or drama. Instead, this is a book for readers who like to ponder the world and how their life fits in with the bigger world picture.

4.5 stars.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walk Two Moons.

Corrigan Vaughan I liked this book when I read it in sixth grade, but I LOVE it now. You're totally right. Most of the themes go right over a tween/teen's head, but upon rereading it as an adult it just hits you in all the feels.

Maddy You are dead wrong. I'm twelve years old, and I understood everything in the book, yet still managed to completely despise it.