Moppet's Reviews > Les Misérables

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Jun 14, 13

bookshelves: 1860s, 19th-century, convents, classics, crime, courtroom-drama, france, nuns, paris, prisons, victorian-novels
Read from April 21, 2012 to April 01, 2013

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Misérables.

04/21/2012 page 3
0.0% "All I remember from seeing the musical some years ago is this: (1) it was long (2) there was a revolving stage (3) one of our party was struck down with a stomach upset and had to watch from the back of theatre, the better to run to the toilets when necessary. So I open this long book innocent of what might be inside it."
04/21/2012 page 3
04/27/2012 page 46
3.0% "This bishop is indeed a lovable character, but I'm going to need some plot fairly soon or the book will likely go onto the half-read pile for about eighteen months."
06/14/2013 marked as: read
show 7 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenny you know there'sa movie in the works?

Moppet Jenny wrote: "you know there'sa movie in the works?"

Yes they were filming in Greenwich but I didn't find out until after they struck the set! :D

message 4: by MBP (new) - added it

MBP Miss Moppet - I was going to ask if you were still making progress with Les Mis - but then I saw you're currently reading War and Peace - so I'll just assume it's on the half-read pile for now.

Moppet MBP wrote: "Miss Moppet - I was going to ask if you were still making progress with Les Mis - but then I saw you're currently reading War and Peace - so I'll just assume it's on the half-read pile for now."

Actually I'm nearly at the end of the first volume of W&P so I might take a break and go back to Les Mis as a lot of people are reading it at the moment. Buddy reads are always more fun! My copy is really huge and bulky though which puts me off carrying it around - might try to find a more compact edition for reading on the go.

message 6: by MBP (new) - added it

MBP There's a discussion at The 1700-1939 Book Club:
and I'm sure there are others. I made it through Book I: Fantine, and now I'm getting bogged down in French history. I'm going to have to put it down temporarily while I do some research on the French Revolution, Napoleon, and Waterloo.

Moppet Historial Tapestry are doing a readalong, starts next week I think.

I was thinking when I read it that it must be confusing for anyone not well versed in French history, which is most English-speaking readers probably. Fortunately for me I studied it at university so the background is familiar. Very happy to answer any questions if I can!