Melissa Jackson's Reviews > Timepiece

Timepiece by Myra McEntire

May 01, 12

bookshelves: time-travel, young-adult, sci-fi
Read from April 28 to 29, 2012

I was so excited to win this as a raffle door prize at a SCBWI conference. I really enjoyed Hourglass.

I was a little worried when I realized Timepiece is told from Kaleb's POV. Not because it's Kaleb, but because lately I've read sequels where the story isn't only told by someone else, but often by the MC's child, or years later. I want the same storyline and time(ha)line I fell in love with in book 1! Thankfully, Kaleb's story pretty much starts up where Emerson's left off in Hourglass.

And, dare I say, I actually preferred Kaleb's voice to Em's! So that was a nice surprise.

Since I read Hourglass in February, I felt pretty confident that I'd be able to follow the plot without needing to check out Myra's Hourglass recap. I probably should have read it. Time travel, no matter how well it's told, will make a girl's head spin. So do yourself a favor and brush up on everything before you dive into Timepiece, just to save your brain cells for the new stuff.

I feel like I can't give a full review of this because somuch happens and I don't to give anything away. (Though, I will say, anyone who was on the fence about Kaleb will be a fan now!) But it's really good! I read it in about 24 hours, unable to put the thing down.

In Hourglass, the action didn't really kick into high-gear for me until the last 100 or so pages, but with Timepiece, it's pretty action-packed all the way along. There are more rips, they're constantly changing, and now the time-travelers aren't the only ones who can see them. Plus, Jack's creepy self keeps showing up everywhere.

Good stuff!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timepiece.