Sarah Jane's Reviews > The Infects

The Infects by Sean Beaudoin

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: netgalley
Read from June 03 to 08, 2012

I give this book 4.5/5 stars!

Think Holes meets Zombieland. The Infects follows a teenage boy, Nick Sole, who works at a chicken processing facility. One day, he finds himself accepting a promotion to work in the mysterious Blue Room, as a butcher. A little while later, he is so exhausted from butchering day after day, that he lands his knife right into his palm. Nick freaks and instead of hitting the emergency stop, he starts removing the chickens from the belt. He winds himself in juvie camp for destruction of property.

Then things start going a little funny. Enter zombies!

I really enjoyed this book. The book is told from Nick's point-of-view. I find it so easy to read the male perspective and Beaudoin really captured the spirit and humor of a teenage dude. I found myself laughing, really snorting and guffawing, at many parts in the book. I love how it started out - I was sucking up every single word of the beginning and pleasantly surprised when it was unveiled (no spoilers for you all - you'll just have to read it to see what I mean :P). It's really easy to get attached to the different characters and really want to know what happens next. You have Nick's love interest Petal, who is kind of mysterious, and then you have Swann, a total badass, crazy b@#$h, who you kind of love to hate and hate to love. There are flashback chapters to Nick's childhood, that give you so much insight on Nick's life. Not to mention, I am in love with how each chapter has a chicken and with each passing chapter, there is a blood splatter header that gets bigger and bigger. Plus the ending is just killer!

Beaudoin weaved a super awesome zombie story that I think is unlike any zombie tale I've ever seen, heard, or read! I highly recommend it to anyone who likes zombie stories or humorous books.

Thank you to NetGalley and Candlewick Press for the opportunity to read this book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infects.

06/03/2012 page 9
06/03/2012 page 22
6.0% "Loving this so far - it's extremely well written"
show 5 hidden updates…