Kevin's Reviews > The Malice of Fortune

The Malice of Fortune by Michael Ennis

Apr 28, 12

Read from April 21 to 28, 2012

When a work of fiction turns real life author of The Prince; Niccolò Machiavelli, into nothing more than a love struck puppy then it's safe to say : don't waste your time reading this silly fluff.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Malice of Fortune.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter Arete Letter from Niccolo Machiavelli to Francesco Vettori, Florence, 3 August 1514:
"I have met a creature so gracious, so refined, so noble... that never could either my praise or my love for her be as much as she deserves. I ought to tell you how this love began, how Love ensnared me with his nets, where he spread them, and what they were like; you would realize that, spread among the flowers, these were nets of gold woven by Venus, so soft and gentle that even though an insensitive heart could have severed them, nevertheless I declined to do so. For a while I reveled within them, until their tender threads hardened and locked into untieable knots... Everything seems easy to me: I adapt to her every whim... I have renounced, then, thoughts about matters great and grave. No longer do I delight in reading about the deeds of the ancients or in discussing those of the moderns: everything has been transformed into tender thoughts, for which I thank Venus..."

Source: Machiavelli and His Friends: Their Personal Correspondence, p. 293