Tina 's Reviews > As One Devil to Another

As One Devil to Another by Richard Platt

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: christian, fiction
Read in April, 2012

In the style of CS Lewis's book “The Screwtape Letters”, Platt’s book, "As One Devil To Another", tells a story of correspondence between a senior devil and his apprentice as they try to pull someone away from their faith in God and to a destiny in hell. (I immediately thought of I Peter 5:8.)

The overall premise is the same as what Lewis presented, but written for modern times and will undoubtedly open the reader's eyes to worldly activities from a spiritual perspective. One example woven into the story is how the internet, a convenient modern tool for connecting, is often also a platform for rambling rather than growing as a person or building significant relationships. Modern reality TV is another great example mentioned in the book's "correspondence" of how our times have changed since shameful behavior is considered entertainment.

The overall tone of the book was formal and somewhat pretentious. I can see the reason for writing in that style but it didn’t flow quite as smoothly as other books I’ve enjoyed. Regardless of the writing style, the book is a fantastic reminder that no matter how focused we are on this material world, there are things happening around us that we cannot see. The day will come when we all will die and face what’s next. I do believe this book will encourage people to reflect on how they are living in this life as they prepare for what’s to come.

Disclaimer: I received this book and a copy to giveaway from Tyndale publishers in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As One Devil to Another.