Sarah's Reviews > Use Your Words: A Writing Guide for Mothers

Use Your Words by Kate Hopper

May 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012-list, favorites
Read from April 21 to 29, 2012

I got this book through the Amazon Vine program, though I've stopped getting as many books (or even really looking at the books available) because, well, I am buried in books. (I'm not complaining, mind you.) Plus there are tons of other cool things I can get through Amazon Vine, so why add to the books I can't get to yet?

This book, though, caught my eye and I broke down and ordered it. I'm a writer, after all, and a mother! This book looked like it was for me! was. I'll admit, I was a bit afraid this would be too much "do this, do that" and not enough advice or help I could actually use, but Hopper, as it turns out, is a talented teacher. She doesn't just tell you what to do, but uses a wide variety of examples--from mothers, no less--and she's down-to-earth in her approach. For example, she doesn't suggest you get up every morning at 3 AM to write (though that may be what works for you). She advocates writing, yes, and gives you tools for doing that, but she's not militant or unrealistic. I appreciated that.

One of the best parts of this book, for me, was getting encouragement from a fellow mom-writer, someone who has multiple kids, is working in the world and in writing, and who has a life beyond the page. Some of the writing books I've read, while excellent, seem like they don't apply. Hopper has combined her expertise in writing with humor and practicality.

Have you ever thought of writing? Not sure how to start or where to begin or what to do? This book will be a great guide for you.

If, like me, you have a clue but need a cheerleader or a refresher or hey, a break from a certain kind of reading you might find yourself constantly immersed in, I'll bet you will love and appreciate this book just like I do.

Overall, highly recommended, especially for fellow mom-writers.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Use Your Words.