Charlotte's Reviews > Sword of the Rightful King: A Novel of King Arthur

Sword of the Rightful King by Jane Yolen

May 06, 12

bookshelves: arthurian, fantasy, magic, young-adult
Read from April 21 to 30, 2012, read count: 1

This was a fun, easy read novel. I love seeing new twists to the Arthurian legend. There was one particular thing, however, I thought could have made the writing slightly stronger: when there was the first allusion to Arthur's bear-like appearance, I thought it was a pity that the author gave away that Arthur means "bear" at the same time. I think just making an allusion to the bear two or three times would have sufficed. It would have been like a wink to the reader. Yolen, I thought, gave away too quickly that detail.
On the other hand, I loved the meeting of Companions at the round table, because at that moment, Yolen gave a few hints as to who Gawen really is. At that moment I had made to guesses, and one of them was right. However, I still found it incredible to discover the back story of this character (which I had guessed at wrongly). I also loved the foreshadowing at that scene as to what will happen later (after the book).
To cut things short, I find this to be a great read for any fan of the Arthurian legends, young-adult novels and, of course, magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sword of the Rightful King.

04/22/2012 page 15