Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > Climbing the Ladder

Climbing the Ladder by B.A. Tortuga

Apr 21, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: erotic, contemporary, anal-play-sex, m-f, m-f-m, m-m, m-m-f, paranormal
Read in April, 2012

Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

You’ve just completed your trials and are the new Alpha, what are you going to do? Go get a mate or two of course!

Enter Mesa, super stud and newly appointed Alpha who sets out to find his best friend and mate, Kody. Kody, a psychic, left his clan to wonder off into the world. Typical weird psychic behavior perhaps, but still highly upsetting for everyone that loved him. While he’s off wondering the world, telling fortunes at fairs he meets and marries Sammy, the straight-shooting level headed banker from Los Angeles.

Put all three of them in a pot and what do you get? A whole lot of boiling over! Mesa and Sammy are both the Alphas and Kody is the Beta in this triad. I felt like the characters where strong as standalone individuals, however when they're together it was just a hot mess. The characters didn’t seem to really click until the end of the book, when they were finally able to give one another what they needed.

Mesa spent much of the time knowing Sammy was perfect for him and Kody, yet stressing over the clan drama. Kody spent most of his time and energy keeping the peace between Sammy and Mesa, yet was so happy to be back with Mesa. And Sammy spent most of the book being confused over who she was and why her husband was sharing her.

Not that I blame her, because I was confused, also. I felt as though I was missing something. I didn’t understand the motivation or rationalization behind the characters actions in some situations. There was quite a bit of internal dialogue but it was little rough. Kody’s was the most confusing but it gave me insight into why he was the was he was. You may need to reread a few sections to truly absorb the intricate thought process.

The characters were strong enough, though, that I needed to see what happened and how it all played out for them. I wanted to hug Kody, pounce on Mesa and shake Sammy. Oh, and I loved Mesa’s siblings! Canyon and Juniper were not only adorable names, but really great secondaries. The sex scenes between Kody, Sammy and Mesa were hot and well written, also.

Their story had a few rough spots but the characters were certainly not boring. I kept reading because I simply had to be sure they found their HEA. I'm glad I did. If you like a little biting, bickering, and growling with your wolfy sex then you’ll enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Climbing the Ladder.