Katie's Reviews > Another Piece of My Heart

Another Piece of My Heart by Jane Green

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012books, jane-green
Read in April, 2012

Another beautiful novel by Jane Green! The story line literally swept me away such that it had to be read in one sitting.

I was a bit surprised to find such negative reviews on Goodreads. I don't think that the book itself provided the negative reviews, but people expecting writing in Early Jane style. It is very true that Green's writing falls into two categories, early Jane and late Jane. While most people begin reading late Jane expecting early Jane writing, I think what they don't understand is that there really is only one Jane. Jane writes beautifully as she creates a fictional story based upon current experiences and feelings that surround her life. So yes, Jane did write more fun and fluffy chick-lit when she lived in England surrounding her earlier life. Who didn't feel moved by Jemima J? And we all loved them and felt such vibrancy to move ourselves within. When she moved to America and took on more serious topics, this related to her current life. I find her writing now to be more introspective, tackling hard topics such as divorce, breast cancer, alcoholism, and step-parenting. No one said that it would be easy, but I'm happy to have watched Jane grow in her writing over the years and not become stagnate in her writing or forced into a category that other authors struggle to continue writing in year after year.

I felt attached to this book as Jane tackled precisely the emotions of a child struggling to love her step-mother as her own ill mother is undermining each move and encouraging her daughter to express hatred. And yet, the step-mother is the one who takes care of the child and the child learns what it really means to love. Not the roller-coaster effect of her ill mother's psychotic bad tempers followed by sweet demeanors.

I also loved that there were two narrators throughout the book to see what both Andi and Emily were feeling at the same time. It's always great reading a story from two perspectives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Piece of My Heart.