Bea's Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

May 01, 12

bookshelves: jamie-mcguire

I don't get it. There is so much hype about this book - both positive and negative. I don't get any of that. This book was just 'meh' for me. I didn't hate it. But I didn't love it either.

There were definitely hints of awesome in this book. The angst and intensity between the lead characters was definitely well conveyed. I attribute the positive reviews for this book to the fact that McGuire is GREAT at translating the feelings of the characters. I felt the angst, I felt the intensity, I felt the pull of the co-dependency. Furthermore, The supporting cast was awesome and well developed.

Unfortunately, the story fell flat for me, as did the main characters. For having survived so much in such a tough environment, Abby was just not strong and decisive enough. Doubt was expected, but Abby was so wishy-washy about everything. She couldn't commit to her doubts and insecurities any more than she could commit to her feelings for Travis. And Travis was too intense and too angry and too angsty for no reason. Yeah he lost his mother, and yeah it broke his heart. But he had a great family with a loving father and supportive brothers. There was no need for him to be that extremely angry and violent. He wasn't abused, unloved and/or neglected.

As for the ending - REALLY??? I mean, REALLY? They're just kids. And they have a lot of crap to work out in their lives, and a lot to learn about themselves. Stupid, stupid ending.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.