Diane Rapp's Reviews > Dungda de Islan'

Dungda de Islan' by C.L.R. Dougherty

Aug 03, 12

Read from April 21 to August 01, 2012

Take a delightful trip with engaging people!

This is a well-written account of a real life sailing experience in the Caribbean. I found the narrative charming, and it evoked pleasant memories of my own island travels. It’s interesting to hear about sailing from port to port. I visited many of the same islands, travelling by cruise ship and airplane, when I gathered research for a travel guide oriented to cruise ship passengers.

Traveling on a sailboat is a lot like traveling full time in an RV on land, full of mundane activities (like grocery shopping and laundry) but peppered with pleasant surprises along the route. Bud and Leslie are true adventurers who faced problems and solved them without complaint. There were also very funny scenes (capturing a rogue squirrel made me laugh out loud) and interesting observations about people and other tourists.

My husband and I travelled full time towing a fifth wheel with a Ford 550. During the first year other travelers claimed we were still in a “sight seeing” mode. We stopped often, scrambled to all the tourist attractions, and dropped exhausted into bed at night. Eventually we spent longer at each stop, enjoyed the campsite, explored at a leisurely pace, and found favorite places to stay for months. You’re either cut out for a “vagabond” lifestyle or you run back to a house with foundations. After 5 ½ years we built a house but the road beckons us often. I wish we had wind power to push the RV down the road rather than fill up with diesel.

Bud and Leslie found the perfect lifestyle for people who love sailing. When you read their delightful adventure, you feel the wind in your hair and salt spray misting your face. I smell the scent of fresh baked baguettes and taste ripe papayas in my imagination. One garden I visited grew fifty different varieties of papaya—yummy. This book will make you dream of sailing through the Caribbean so stock up on sun screen! It’s a delightful trip with engaging people.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dungda de Islan'.