Kristin's Reviews > Moon Over Soho

F 50x66
Apr 21, 2012

Read from April 19 to 26, 2012

4.5 stars.

There are spoilers from the first book in this review.

I almost want to inappropriately touch the author of Moon Over Soho (don’t worry Ben, I said almost!). First, he includes an archivist in the book, small though his role is, then he mentions Patisserie Valerie (best diabetic-inducing almond croissants ever, which I can no longer eat because I’m a vegan *sobs*) and to top it all off, he references the best party CD ever made, Lounge Against the Machine.

The story itself was really good, too.

This go around Peter’s dealing with dead jazz musicians, a new love interest, a penis-severing woman (I’m not even going to tell you how she does it!) and an evil magician.

I wasn’t really sure how I felt about Leslie in the first book. I liked her but thought there was a chance I could do without her. Well, I was wrong. Since the events of the first book, she wasn’t really in this installment much and I found myself missing her snarky banter with Peter and was glad when she made the brief appearances she did. I hope that Peter is able to sort out a solution to her lack of a face problem in the next one. Judging by what happens at the end of this book, I think her reappearance, with or without her old face, is a distinct possibility. My only, What the hell?! moment in the book came at the end (view spoiler). Peter’s parents, especially his dad, have a bigger role here, one that is welcome and adds to the plot while giving us a better insight into Peter’s life as well as his father’s, explaining why he’s acted the way he has for most of his son’s life.

The author has again created interesting storylines and the Thames chicks, my least favorite part of the last book, weren’t in it too much. Ash was in it a little and he was pretty freaking hilarious. His involvement in a particular scene set up an hysterical ride in an ambulance. Not necessarily hysterical for him, but once Peter gets involved, pretty much anything can happen. And does.

Aaronovitch’s writing is so British and the humor is top-notch, dry yet not really sarcastic, as I’ve said, just very British. The multiple storylines were extremely interesting, better than in the first book (one had an Oh, gross! factor that definitely needs to be explored more. And stopped. Definitely stopped.), and as some go unsolved, it seems the storyline for at least one of the next books is set up, though it’s so big, I could see it carrying on for even more than that.

This is fast becoming one of my favorite series, and since my sister owns the first two books, I know I’m going to have to fight her to read Whispers Under Ground first when it comes out in May.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Over Soho.

04/21/2012 page 61