ephrielle's Reviews > Dark Companion

Dark Companion by Marta Acosta

Jul 03, 12

Read from June 19 to 25, 2012

At the beginning of each chapter is a quote from some classical novel. I was very impressed by the wide variety of quotes and felt the author must be highly well read. As the book progressed, however, the quotes got less exciting and more similar, they lost their appeal.

The characters seem a bit unstable, especially Jane. If you are a huge Jane Eyre fan you might not be satisfied with this rendition. The story and characters have been put in a salad tosser and thoroughly displaced. Character lines have been blurred and I sometimes felt Lucky was more like Mr. Rochester. I also had a hard time accepting the characters. Trying to put the adult characters into teenagers just didn't sit right. Mr. Rochester went through several hard years and events to produce his bitterness and personality. Jack just came off as odd wearing Mr. Rochester's mantle at eighteen. Jane was not true to character either. She completely falls for a pretty face and becomes rather tedious. I was bugged by her dumb choices, especially the section where she runs away. She didn't actually accomplish anything and it came across as more of a temper tantrum than her standing her moral ground. Jane is incredibly dense and terribly hypocritical. She is also very weak willed and allows others to use her. I just didn't like her.

The ending drags on forever, three chapters of unnecessary details. It is also rather bizarre with the random appearance of a crazy person. I think the crazy must have infected the other characters because they suddenly start singing a different tune.

My biggest miff with this book was all the crudity. Jane Eyre is a clean yet deep read and all the crudity in this rendition made it feel cheap. There are also several points where the story lacks subtle transitioning and feels choppy.

I think had I not been such a fan of Jane Eyre I might have enjoyed this book. It reminds me of how modern film makers adapt classics to younger audiences. The stories become very sexual and more shallow. Perhaps this book will likewise hit it off with the younger crowd but it is a miss for me.

Content:
Sexual: Moderate
Violence: Mild
Swearing: Moderate
General: Very Crude

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Companion.

06/22/2012 page 49