Mark's Reviews > Mendocino: And Other Stories

Mendocino by Ann Packer

Apr 21, 2012

Read in April, 2012

Good stories, good characters, well written. I liked that these characters were normal people. there didn't have to be quirky characters or unrealistic scenarios. But, and it's an interesting but, I found most of the stories utterly lacking in the ending category. I recently published a couple of short story collections. A number of co-workers and friends who have now read my stories for the first time complain that they are too short (which they probably are) and the endings just leave them wanting more. I felt the same way reading most of the stories in this collection in a very real way. I don't have any specific examples from the stories, but the stories frequently seemed written towards the resolution of problem X and would end before X was resolved. Very frustrating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mendocino.

message 1: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Crosby The way she leaves the endings is part of what makes her stories beautiful and very real.

Mark Vivian wrote: "The way she leaves the endings is part of what makes her stories beautiful and very real."

You may be right. It's been long enough since I posted this review, I feel like maybe I should go back and read the book again and see if I feel the same way.