Lisa's Reviews > It

It by Stephen King

May 01, 12

bookshelves: 2012, kindle-baby, own, gods-and-monsters, murders-and-misdeeds, spooky-spooky-woo-woo, coming-of-age
Recommended to Lisa by: Nik
Read from April 21 to 30, 2012, read count: 1

I've been reading through King's back catalogue in chronological order and, having this one next in the pile, have been slightly putting it off due to Tim Curry's Pennywise scaring the living daylights out of me (though the rest of the film, with John-Boy Walton and the rest of the lame adults, sucks ass). Deep breath, and here goes....

Much like the film, there are moments of greatness but also flaws, leading me to give this a 3 (though it's really a 3.5). I think that over-familiarity with the film really did do a number on my enjoyment of this, particularly during certain parts, as it was so vivid in my mind throughout. As such, I enjoyed the parts that didn't make the film cut so much more (even if some of it was slightly out of left-field - it would have been a whole other kind of movie had they included kid-Beverley's part in the original battle to off It!)

As I've found with the rest of King's back catalogue so far, the supernatural bits really aren't the highlights, these instead being all the bits inbetween; the history that permeates the town, the little glimpses into the lives of the town's many inhabitants, and the friendship between The Losers as children. Never better than when on this type of ground (particularly when it came to Ben, I found), unfortunately this did lead to lulls whenever we went back to them as adults - a trait shared with the film. This, along with King's now familiar frequent pronouncements of doom ("It was the last time he would ever...") popping up more and more often started to grate a little.

It itself is a great creation - a bogeyman straight from every one of your nightmares as it feeds on your imagination and throws your worst fears back at you - though this did tend to become more amorphous as time went on (and I have found that King's endings don't quite live up to the excellence that precedes them).

All in all this was still a great read, but just didn't quite live up to the stratospheric expectations I now have of King's books.

P.S. A slightly odd question, but do American children not have the same problem with gingers that English ones do? Whenever I read about Big Bill's red hair, I couldn't help but think that the bullies would have made something of this had they been English...

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It.

04/22/2012
10.0% "Kick his ass, Beverley..." 2 comments
04/27/2012
58.0% "A slight lull.....and why, oh why must one of the bad guys share the name of my hero??"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen That movie was disappointing. The first half with the kids was great, and then they trotted out that ill assortment of former child actors and has-beens for the second half. I was riveted by the book though. I do not think Americans have such a stigma with red-haired kids. There was a South Park episode about it, "Ginger Kids" I think, but Cartman is prejudiced against almost everyone.

Lisa Ha! I've seen that South Park episode, but forgot til you just said. Yeah, Cartman's not much for tolerance of any kind, is he?

Totally agree about the movie, especially when it comes to John-Boy and his douche-tastic ponytail. If they'd just left the story with the kids, the movie would be nothing but awesome.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen The pony tail! I almost forgot that! LOL