Holly's Reviews > The Pickwick Papers

The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

Apr 22, 12

Read in April, 2012

Ah Pickwick and Sam... Having finished this novel last week, I'm now missing them as they have already become old friends.

It's the descriptions and the characterization that give the stories/chapters in the Pickwick Papers their backbone. At first I rolled my eyes as what I thought were the Pickwickiens dim-witted psuedo-intellectualism as I can only take so much farce; however though the stories were set in centuries past I could picture them as if I were in the room or they were occurring outside my window.

Is it entirely too long? Are there too many asides and sub-stories to pad it out since it was a serial novel? Do the characters find themselves in situations that are too strange for fiction and could only happen to the living and breathing? Yes. Despite the length, I was sad when it ended. At times I sighed at some of the long-winded tales, but there were twice as many that so strongly dance in my head.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pickwick Papers.