Donna's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Apr 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy
Read from April 19 to 21, 2012

I loved the idea of an intrigue-heavy story, and I liked Ismae well enough. I think that the investigation aspects could have been handled a little better, though. Some of the plot twists were built up well, but there were a few times when it seemed like the story glossed past some explanations. The present tense put me off a little, but not as much as it has in other books.

The characters had promise but some of their interactions were flat. I didn't fall for them the way I did for Yelena and Valek in the oft-cited Poison Study comparison. I think part of the reason for that was that Ismae spent a little too much time telling us about her feelings and not enough really expressing them. She had a tendency, for example, to meet someone, give a brief physical description, and then tell us if her immediate reaction was to like or mistrust them. I only occasionally felt like there was much of a spark between her and the hero.

The story and setting were interesting, so I'll probably still check out the sequel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.