Clare Cannon's Reviews > Summer of My German Soldier

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, adults, favorites, 13-15yrs
Recommended for: 12 years - adults
Read from April 19 to 20, 2012

This book is still a beautiful ache in my heart long after I finished it. I don't know why it never came up in lists of recommended modern classics. It is not a feel good romance, but a beautiful story of courage, friendship and love, and of a young girl learning to filter out the unkindness and prejudice directed towards her to discover the truth and goodness of love.

Adolescents who are used to a diet of feel-good will need to be prepared for some heart stretching, but in the long-run, and with a little talking through, reading this book will help them to be better prepared to face the joys and challenges of life with courage and love. www.GoodReadingGuide.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of My German Soldier.

Ariana I agree with you Clare- this is one of my favorite books, and one of the few to which I have wept openly.

Clare Cannon Yes I know, she is so strong but you just want to cry and hug her... and then I read that it's based on the author's life - that's impressive.

Ariana Wow! That's incredible!

message 4: by Gin (new)

Gin Tadvick I loved this book when I read it! Thanks for reviewing and reminding us what a great book it is!!

Clare Cannon That's great Gin, I loved it too!

message 6: by Bev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bev I've read this book twice. And I really did love it; it's one of my favorite books. I think this book really reaches across generations. You can love it whether you read it when it first came out or if you read it thirty-nine years afterwards. It's a beautiful story and I agree, it's very heart wrenching. But sad stories are good, sometimes. They're realistic.
I digress. What I'm trying to say is, I wholeheartedly agree with this review and no matter what generation you are, this book is amazing.

Amelia Extremely well said; you took the words right out of my mouth! This is a wonderful book, and every time i read it, my heart aches. Its just such an emotional story.

Amelia This book seemed to move me in a whole other way- in a subtle way, i guess. i've read that this is bases on Ms. Greene's life as well; however, i can't help but wonder how much of it really is. The family life must have been the same, but not the hiding a German soldier part, right?

Clare Cannon I'm not really sure, though I thought her family were upset because it may have been based on true events, fictionalised a little.

Amelia Yes that's what i read on her website. Its an amazing story i can read a thousand times. Thank you so much for your wonderful review; so many people have said that they hate Summer of my German Soldier, and its a nice change to find someone who appreciates it.

Clare Cannon Yes I saw that too - maybe they were too young when they read it... I guess if you are expecting happily ever after it would be a let-down, but it's so beautiful in its own right :)

Amelia I completely agree, there's so much you can get from this book, and so much you can learn about friendship, and of course, the predjudices of WWII

message 13: by Bev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bev I think it's also that for many, it was compulsory reading for them in eighth grade. A book that one is forced to read is not nearly as enjoyable as one that you pick off of the shelf yourself.

Amelia Bev wrote: "I think it's also that for many, it was compulsory reading for them in eighth grade. A book that one is forced to read is not nearly as enjoyable as one that you pick off of the shelf yourself."

I suppose so. Kids begin with a sense of dread and a biased notion that all class novels are predestined to be boring, and relentless with their "cheesy" morals. I admit i used to be the same way and would have much rather chosen a book by my own reference- with little interference from teachers- but still, you have to be open minded, and not always too presumptious.