Emily's Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Apr 21, 12

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.

Quotes Emily Liked

Gayle Forman
“I can’t imagine what it would be like to have had her company in my head—the comfort that would’ve brought.”

Gayle Forman
“You talked to me, but you didn’t. I could see you having these two-sided conversations. The things you wanted to say to me. And the words that actually came out.”

Gayle Forman
“You were so busy trying to be my savior that you left me all alone.”

Gayle Forman
“It would’ve been easier to die. It’s not that I want to be dead now. I don’t. I have a lot in my life that I get satisfaction from, that I love. But some days, especially in the beginning, it was so hard. And I couldn’t help but think that it would’ve been so much simpler to go with the rest of them. But you—you asked me to stay. You begged me to stay. You stood over me and you made a promise to me, as sacred as any vow.”

Gayle Forman
“Her hands were freezing, just like they always were, so I warmed them, just like I always did.”

Gayle Forman
“Standing here, in this quiet house where I can hear the birds chirping out back, I think I’m kind of getting the concept of closure. It’s no big dramatic before-after. It’s more like that melancholy feeling you get at the end of a really good vacation. Something special is ending, and you’re sad, but you can’t be that sad because, hey, it was good while it lasted, and there’ll be other vacations, other good times.”

Gayle Forman
“And the voice grows stronger and stronger, and it’s my
voice this time and it’s asking a question: How does she
know?”

Gayle Forman
“Are you happy in your misery?
Resting peaceful in desolation?
It’s the final tie that binds us
The sole source of my consolation"
“blue”

Gayle Forman
“Hate me. Devastate me. Annihilate me. Re-create me. Re-create me. Won't you, won't you won't you re-create me.”

Gayle Forman
“Barrel of the gun, rounds one two three
She says I have to pick: choose you, or choose me
Metal to the temple, the explosion is deafening
Lick the blood that covers me
She’s the last one standing
“Roulette”
Collateral Damage, Track 11”

Gayle Forman
“But still, I find the need to remind myself of the temporariness of a day, to reassure myself that I got through yesterday, I'll get through today.”

Gayle Forman
“You know, I thought about that a lot these last couple of years," She says in a choked voice. "About who was there for you. Who held your hand while you grieved for all that you'd lost?”

Gayle Forman
“You?' is all I can manage to choke out.

'Always me,' she replies softly, bashfully. 'Who else?”

Gayle Forman
“And then Adam Wilde shows up at Carnegie Hall on the biggest night of my career, and it felt like more than a coincidence. It felt like a gift. From them. For my first recital ever, they gave me a cello. And for this one, they gave me you.”

Gayle Forman
“The boogeyman sleeps on your side of the bad
Whispers in my ear :"Better of Dead"
Fills my dreams with sirens and lights of regret
Kisses me gently when i wake up in a sweat
"boo!”

Gayle Forman
“You crossed the water, left me ashore
It killed me enough, but you wanted more
You blew up the bridge, a mad terrorist
Waved from your side, through me a kiss
I started to follow but realized too late
There was nothing but air underneath my feet"

—from the song "Bridge" on the Collateral Damage album”

Gayle Forman
“Someone wake me when it's over
When the evening silence softens golden
Just lay me on bed of dover
Oh, I need help with this burden
"Hush”

“First you inspect me
Then you dissect me
Then you reject me
I wait for the day
That you'll resurrect me
"Animate”

Gayle Forman
“I'll be your mess, you be mine
That was the deal that we had signed
I bought a hazmat suit to clean up your waste
Gas masks, gloves, to keep us safe
But now I'm alone in an empty room
Staring down immaculate doom
"Messy”

Gayle Forman
“The bow is so old, its horsehair is glue
Sent to the factory, just like me and like you
So how come they stayed your execution?
The audience roars its standing ovation
“Dust,”

Gayle Forman
“Needle and thread flesh and bone
Spit and sinew, heartbreak is home.
Your suture lines, they sparkle like diamonds
Bright stars to light my confinement
“Stitch,”

Gayle Forman
“But I'd do it again. I know that now. I'd make that promise a thousand times over and lose her a thousand times over to have heard her play last night or to see her in the morning sunlight. Or even without that. Just to know that she's somewhere out there. Alive.”

Gayle Forman
“I know that unlike that night, tonight I won't kiss her. Or touch her. Or even see her up close.
Tonight, I'll listen. And that'll be enough.”

Gayle Forman
“...the world feels so big when you're out in the wide open. It's like you don't have a place in it when you don't have a home."

"Your place is right here," I whispered, laying down and hugging her close.”

Gayle Forman
“Letting go. Everyone talks about it like it's the easiest thing. Unfurl your fingers one by one until your hand is open.”

Gayle Forman
“I needed to hate someone and you’re the one I love the most, so it fell on you.”

Gayle Forman
“Except even at the start, when we were in that can't-get-enough-of-you-phase, there was like some invisible wall between us. At first I tried to take it down, but it took so much effort to even make cracks. And then I got tired of trying. Then I justified it. This was just how adult relationships were, how love felt once you had a few battle scars.”

Gayle Forman
“A day might be just twenty-four hours but sometimes getting through just one seems as impossible as scaling Everest.”

Gayle Forman
“I’ve blamed her for all of this, for leaving, for ruining me. And maybe that was the seed of it, but from that one little seed grew this tumor of a flowering plant. And I’m the one who nurtures it. I water it. I care for it.I nibble from its poison berries. I let it wrap around my neck, choking the air right out of me. I’ve done that. All by myself. All to myself.”
tags: adam

Gayle Forman
“The audience keeps singing, keeps making my case, and I just keep strumming until I get close enough to see her eyes. And then I start singing the chorus. Right to her. And she smiles at me, and it’s like we’re the only two people out here, the only ones who know what’s happening. Which is that this song we’re all singing together is being rewritten. It’s no longer an angry plea shouted to the void. Right here, on this stage, in front of eighty thousand people, it’s becoming something else. This is our new vow.”

Gayle Forman
“My first impulse is not to grab her or kiss her or yell at her. I simple want to touch her cheek, still flushed from the night's performance. I want to cut through the space that separates us, measured in feet-not miles, not continents, not years-and to take a callused finger to her face.”

Gayle Forman
“She's still beautiful. Not in an obvious Vanessa LeGrande or Byrn Shraeder kind of way. In a quiet way that's always been devastating to me.”

Gayle Forman
“Whoever said that the past isn't dead had it backward. It's the future that's already dead, already played out.”

Gayle Forman
“Mia and I had been together for more than two years, and yes, it was a high school romance, but it was still the kind of romance where I thought we were trying to find a way to make it forever, the kind that, had we met five years later and had she not been some cello prodigy and had I not been in a band on the rise - or had our lives not been ripped apart by all this -I was pretty sure it would've been.”

Gayle Forman
“The music is the void. And you're the reason why.”

Gayle Forman
“You're a total freak. But you're my freak.”

Gayle Forman
“All I wanted was for you to be okay. All I wanted was to help you. I would've done anything."
She drops her chin to her chest. "Yes, I know. You wanted to rescue me."
"Damn, Mia. You say that like it's a bad thing.”

Gayle Forman
Go back to your ghost, I hear Bryn telling me. But she has it wrong. Bryn is the one who's been living with the ghost-the specter of a man who never stopped loving someone else.”

Gayle Forman
“And our lips. There isn't enough skin, enough spit, enough time, for the lost years that our lips are trying to make up for as they find each other. We kiss. The electric current switches to high. The lights throughout all of Brooklyn must be surging.”

Gayle Forman
“You dumb-ass," I crooned, kissing her on the forehead. "You don't share me. You own me.”